Alfa Romeo Logo

Alfa Romeo Logo

Alfa Romeo Automobiles S.p.A., often shortened as Alfa Romeo, is a famous Italian luxury sports car manufacturer. The original name of the company was “Società Anonima Italiana Darracq” (SAID) when it was founded by the French automobile manufacturer, Alexandre Darracq, in 1906. “Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale”, the premier state-owned holding company of Italy, owned Alfa Romeo for about 54 years (between 1932 and 1986).

The Fiat Group eventually acquired the company in 1986. Alfa Romeo became a part of the Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A in February 2007.


Alfa Romeo Logo Evolution Old Logos

Shape and Colors of the Alfa Romeo Logo

The Alfa Romeo logo is widely regarded among the best car logos in the history of graphic design – despite the fact that the emblem has undergone numerous modifications over the years. Its earliest version was an elusive one which was introduced in 1910. It is believed that the badge depicted the coat of arms of the Visconti family which was, at the time, the most influential and respected family in Milan. The emblem also carried a Red cross on a white background.

An urban legend goes that a serpent relentlessly terrorized the people of Milan in the 5th century AD. It was bravely killed in combat by Ottone Visconti, a pious archbishop of Milan. The serpent bearing a crown is supposed to be linked with this heroic deed. The red cross on a white background embodies the courage of Giovanni Da Rio who is thought to be the first man to climb the walls of Jerusalem and erect a cross there in the first crusade.

The badge also typifies a reversed shield over the great door of the Castello Sforzesco in Milan. The original emblem of Alfa Romeo contained the company name “ALFA” (an acronym of “Anomina Lombarda Fabrica Automobili”) and “Milano” which is broke up by two figures of eight knots.

After the acquisition by Nicola Romeo in December 1915, the logo was reworked to sport the new company name, “Alfa Romeo”, with “Milano” around its lower side. Another modification was implemented in 1925 adding a wreath to commemorate the company’s remarkable success worldwide. After a few years, the gold trim became a major component of the logo. “Milano” was removed from the badge in 1972 after the successful inauguration of another massive factory in Pomigliano d’Arco, Naples.